Frequently Asked Questions about Teaching at First Leap

How to Apply

When is the best time to apply for a teaching jobs in China?

We accept applications to teach English in China year-round at First Leap. Our busiest times for hiring international English teachers in China is in January/February and July/August. So we usually start the interview process 3 to 4 months prior to teachers arriving in China.  

What are the requirements to teach English in China?

At First Leap, we are looking for motivated individuals, with a bachelor’s degree who are looking to explore a new culture. Additional qualifications to teach in China, such as experience teaching or TEFL/TESOL, are given preference.

Do I need a passport/Visa already to apply for a teaching job in China?

Yes, in order to come to teach in China you will need a valid passport with at least 1 year remaining and multiple passport pages empty. We will help you apply for a Visa before entering China.

What is needed to apply to be a Foreign English Teacher at First Leap?

You should submit your information on our website or through email to You will be asked to fill in a new teacher information form (NTIF) so we can better get to know you. We will also need a resume and some passport information.

I have no ESL teaching experience, can I still apply?

Yes, many of our foreign English teachers had never taught before joining First Leap in China. As long as you have a positive attitude toward teaching, we can help you prepare through our English teacher training program ran by our Senior Foreign English Teaching staff.

What is the interview process for a Foreign English Teacher with First Leap?

We will conduct two interviews with our recruitment team. The 1st interview will be used to get to know you as a person and introduce some basics about First Leap and answer any preliminary questions you may have about working in China and living in China. The 2nd interview will be a short teaching demonstration. For both interviews, we strongly recommend the use of a webcam via Skype.

Can couples or groups of friends apply together at First Leap?

Yes, we have many couples and groups of friends who have come to First Leap to teach and live in China together.  We find that having someone close to you who is also going through the same experience helps with adjusting to working and living in China that much faster.  You will also quickly become friends with other Foreign English Teachers and local Chinese Teachers at your centers as well.

Do I need to speak Chinese to apply to work at First Leap?

No, many of our teachers don’t know a single word of Chinese before applying, and speaking Chinese is not an ESL job requirement.  However, you may discover that other English Teachers in China take Mandarin classes in their free time to soak in the culture.  

About First Leap

What is First Leap?

Opened in February 2009, First Leap is an after school English training center based in Beijing, China with branches in 20+ cities around China.  First Leap is a business that aims to provide additional English education to students ages 1.5-15 on weekday nights and weekends. The company is a business unit of Tomorrow Advancing Life (TAL), a registered company with New York Stock Exchange.

What is TAL Education Group?

TAL Education Group is a leading K-12 after-school tutoring services provider in China. The acronym “TAL” stands for “Tomorrow Advancing Life,” which reflects our vision to promote top learning opportunities for K-12 students in China through providing both high-quality teaching and content, as well as leading edge application of technology in the education experience. TAL Education Group offers comprehensive tutoring services to students from pre-school to the twelfth grade through three flexible class formats: small classes, personalized premium services, and online courses. Our tutoring services cover the core academic subjects in China’s school curriculum including mathematics, English, Chinese, physics, chemistry, and biology. We operate our small class math and science business under the brand Xueersi, our small class English business under the brand Lejiale, our small class Chinese business under the brand Dongxuetang, and our small class young learners ages three-to-eight business under the brand Mobby. Zhikang is our personalized premium services brand and is the domain name for our online school. Our learning center network includes twenty-five key cities in China: Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Tianjin, Wuhan, Xi`an, Chengdu, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Taiyuan, Zhengzhou, Chongqing, Suzhou, Shenyang, Jinan, Shijiazhuang, Qingdao, Changsha, Luoyang, Nanchang, Ningbo, Wuxi, Fuzhou and Hefei. We also operate, a leading online education platform in China. Our ADSs trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “XRS.”

In my Contract - are my benefits any different if I am signed with an agency, instead of First Leap directly?

No, you will make the same money regardless if First Leap signs you directly or you are signed through an agency. The fees that First Leap pays to agencies do not come out of the teachers’ salaries.

Am I working for an agency or First Leap or both or neither?

Our agencies and First Leap have a strong business cooperation. All teachers who work at First Leap, whether signed directly with First Leap or through our agencies, will have contact with both companies.  Agencies can help all our teachers locate appropriate accommodations as well as pick-up and transportation during your arrival to Beijing. Because of this strong relationship, they are able to provide the same service to all teachers who work at First Leap, no matter if they are signed directly with First Leap or through an agency. If any problems arise, you can contact both parties simultaneously and they will reach a quick solution.

What type of classes do I teach at First Leap in China?

At First Leap we teach fun, interactive classes that get the students moving around the classroom and using English. We do this through a process called CLIL, which means Content Language Integrated Learning. We use subjects like Art, Music, Drama and Science to learn new words and interact with them.

Do I have the same classes every week?

Yes for the most part.  We do try to have a set roster of classes in each school; however, you may be asked to pick up classes from other teachers because of leave or overcrowding.

What age are my students?

Students range in age for 1.5 to 15 years old, although most students fall between 2-10 years of age.

Are materials provided for my ESL classes?

Yes, all classes are planned out and presentations have already been made for the class.  We also have a supply closet stocked with all the needed materials to carry out fun and interactive lessons for your students.

How long are the lessons?

Lessons range from 20 minutes to 50 minutes, depending on the age of the students.

What does a typical classroom look like at First Leap?

Here is a picture of a typical classroom:


How many students are in each class?

First Leap classes have no more than 14 students.

About the Job

How many hours do I work?

Your working time is a real benefit at First Leap.  You will have a 32 hour work week.  Wednesday 3:30-8:30pm, Thursday 4:30-8:30pm, Friday 3:30-8:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 9am-7pm. (1 hour, for lunch is provided Saturday and Sunday). Having off days mid-week allow you to enjoy life in China without the crowds, and most of your mornings are free as well.

Where will I teach in China? Can I choose the training center & city where I will live in China?
  • During the interview process, we will discuss which city is hiring and looking for ESL foreign English teachers. Your specific location within the city will be discussed and decided once you have started training in Beijing.  If you have a specific preference or need, please make it known before your arrival and we will try to accommodate your request.
  • It is not guaranteed that we can place couples or friends at the same center. We can try to accommodate this request but it will depend on the current center needs. If we can’t accommodate, we will do our best to make sure the centers are relatively close in distance so you both have the same commute to work, if you are planning to live together.
Is there a dress code for ESL Teachers at First Leap?

Yes, teachers are given a work shirt to be worn in the classroom at all times. Teachers must also wear socks at all times in the classroom, and pants/dresses/shorts should be mobile, clean and unripped and not overly revealing.

How long does my contract with First Leap last?

Contracts last for at least 12 months, starting from the first day of training and ending on the 15th of the final month, which is our pay day. 

Can I stay longer than 1 year with First Leap in China?

We really like and encourage teachers to stay longer than 1 year and have many attractive options for teachers, such as a pay raise, paid vacation days and much more!

Are any meals provided while working at First Leap?

No, our schools do not have a cafeteria, so all meals are up to the teachers to provide for themselves. You will find that most schools are located in or around shopping centers with plenty of eating options.

When and how do I get paid?

You will be paid on the 15th of every month for the previous month’s work (Eg, September 15th you are paid for all work done in August).

Is payment often delayed for any reason?
  • No, payment is always sent to the banks before payday so it arrives in your account at the correct day. As long as you have set up your bank account properly with our help, there will be no problems with your payment. Keep in mind, it may not arrive until later in the day in some circumstances due to bank operating times.
  • Teachers should confirm their working hours with the Academic Director (AD) each month and if a problem arises, the AD can contact the payment personnel.  
When do I get paid my first paycheck with First Leap?

If you start training after the 15th of the month, we will try to pay you in the following month, however, this might not always be possible. In some circumstances, we will have to pay you the month after next. (Eg. Training starts April 23rd, paid on June 15th.)  We will go over this during the time of your training.

Are there other requirements of my time outside of my class schedule?

Yes, teachers are required to prepare their lessons, interact with our students, use our interactive APP to give feedback to students, participate in periodic training programs, take part in marketing events, communicate with co-workers daily and generally work to the betterment of your school.

Is there any time off to travel in China or nearby countries?

We provide time off for all official Government National Holidays as well as giving teachers the option to take Dec 25th. During the two major holidays, Spring Festival and National Day, we provide a week or more of consecutive days off to travel around China and Southeast Asia.

The handbook is really long, can I just skim it?

We provide the handbook as an extension to the teacher’s contracts to clearly lay out the working conditions for all teachers. While we can’t force any teachers to read all of it, they are liable for all of its contents.  Ignorance of a policy does not excuse a mistake.

About Living in China

Food in China - What is it like?

Food in China is extremely diverse.  It’s not just the local Chinese food, which is quite different between regions, but also you can find a taste of home in major cities across China with Western-style restaurants.  While there are western restaurants to choose from in some areas, the local Chinese restaurants will be an experience that you will never forget.  We love sharing meals as a family by eating “family-style” here in China, and one of our favorite dishes by far is the Chinese HotPot.

Transportation in China - How do I best get around in China?

Public transportation is most popular, and readily available throughout China. Most cities have large numbers of public buses, and big cities like Nanjing, Guangzhou, and Beijing have subway lines. On top of this, taxis can be taken to most locations, although are comparatively much more expensive.

Laws in China - Are the laws much different in China than the rest of the world?

Most laws that could affect your life in China are similar to those of your home country. However, China has an extremely strict drug policy. They have zero tolerance for drug use and impose strict and harsh penalties for those caught using or doing drugs.

Is it Safe in China?

China’s major cities are just as safe as major cities in the west. Most apartment complexes are gated and police are a constant presence.

Can I learn Chinese while teaching at First Leap?

Absolutely. There are many different ways to learn Chinese while living in China, depending on your preference.  The most common way is for teachers to find a personal tutor, but may also do a language exchange with new friends and the Local Chinese Teachers at our training centers.  A Chinese Tutor can run about 30-150RMB (10RMB = 1 pound, 6.5 RMB=1 dollar) for 1 hour.

Is travel restricted in China for foreigners?

For the most part, travel is not restricted in China for foreigners. Keep in mind, whenever you travel, you do need to carry your passport and register with the local police upon your arrival into a new city (Hotels and hostels will do this for you). However, Tibet is the one area that can pose some difficulties for foreigners to travel to. It is possible to access, but you must go through the right channels and get the correct special permits.

Should I read anything before coming to live and teach in China?

There are plenty of great books on China. Whenever traveling to a new country, it is always handy to purchase the Lonely Planet China Travel Guide. If you are looking for something more novel-based, you might try China Road, by Rob Gifford.  Or if you are looking for first-hand accounts of living and teaching in China, you can read blogs such as Peanuts or Pretzels from our friends Josh & Liz, who are former teachers.

How much English is spoken in China?

English is not spoken as much in China as it is in South America or Europe. However, that doesn’t mean you need to speak Chinese to survive in China.  Most people will understand simple phrases and you can usually get your meaning across with some hand gestures and patience. There are also many restaurants with English or picture menus, and most major businesses will have a token employee who can speak English.  You can also use technology, such as phone apps for translation (just keep in mind that Google translate will not work in China).

What are some big cultural difference between China and Western Culture?
  • Anytime you are coming to a new country, you must expect that things will be different. Before discussing any specific issues, it is best to say that teachers who do best in China are those who can take a step back from each new situation (no matter how good, bad, or different it might seem) and relax while working through it.
  • Here are a few things that teachers find to be different in China; however, this list is not exhaustive:
    • Often schedule changes or additions are made last minute (this is because it is seen as a loss of face to say something will happen and then cancel, so people often wait until the last minute).
    • When eating at a restaurant with friends, it is seen as a great gesture to pay the bill, so often Chinese people will fight to pay. If you want to pay, you need to really insist on paying the bill.
    • Also in most restaurants, tipping is not allowed. This is because it is seen as you telling them that they need more money than they are already paid.  It can be seen as an insult.
    • Foreigners are still somewhat a novelty in China. As a result, many people have a hard time hiding their curiosity.  This might manifest itself with people staring at you, asking you to take a photo with them, or something as nice as everyone saying hello to you.
    • Toddlers under the age of 2 often wear clothing that has a split opening in the crotch. Commonly called “split pants”, these allow children to quickly potty train; however, often in public places.
    • Toilet paper is not common in most public restrooms and is not flushed down the toilet.  However, travel tissues are cheap and sold everywhere, so always carry some with you.
What should I avoid while living in China?

Like most places around the world, China is a really friendly place. However, there are certain people around the world who prey on this friendliness.  We advise teachers living in China to keep their guard up, as they would in any other major city around the world. In particular, there are two areas you should display extreme caution. Any time you go to a very tourist heavy or western heavy area, you will meet lots of people who can speak English.  They may offer to help you and accompany you, saying that they are happy just to be able to practice their English. But beware if they suggest going to a certain tea house or an art gallery to show you more Chinese culture. Once at the tea house or art gallery, you will be charged an exorbitant amount of money from 1,000 to 10,000 RMB for your tea or entry fee.  Another general rule of thumb is to not add anyone to your party once you are out (or you may end up paying everyone’s bill). This way you can avoid any unpleasant situations, as the police are not very helpful in these situations.  The second area to avoid is so called “Black Taxis” or taxis without meters. Make sure to look for real taxis and don’t go with people who just offer a ride for a set price.  This is common around the Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City in Beijing.

Pretty girls/handsome guys talk to me all day at a tourist site, should I go with them to a local tea house/Art gallery? I mean, they are REALLY pretty / handsome!

We know; however, a good rule is not to add anyone to your party when you go out. You might be lucky, and they could just want to be friends.  So if you are wanting to really pursue this friendship, then invite them to a different location or a different day and see how they react. If they want to be friends, they will accept. If not, they will insist on their location and you will know that they may not really want to be your friend.

About Visas

How do I apply for a Chinese Visa?
What materials do I need from First Leap to apply for my Z (work) China Visa?

You will need a working permit as well as an authorized invitation letter (both from the Chinese government).

What materials do I need to obtain myself for a Working (Z Visa)?

  • You will need to obtain a passport, additional photographs, your resume, your degree certificate, a medical exam (we will provide you with the exact details) your address and home phone number.
I am applying for a Business Visa (F Visa) with First Leap

What materials do I need from First Leap?

  • You will need an invitation letter from the company.

What materials do I need to obtain myself?

  • You will need to obtain a passport and additional photographs for your visa.
Why am I applying for a F/L/Z visa?

Our visa specialists will read your profile and help you apply for the correct visa for China that best suits your background. Your working conditions or contract is not affected by this.

My China visa is only for 6 months, what happens when it expires?

Please let our visa specialists know 2 months before your China visa expires so they can help you apply for a new visa. If you wait too late to inform us of your visa being close to expiration, you might incur certain costs yourself for the extension.

How long does the Visa process take in my home country?

The whole process time from start to finish can take up to 3 months. This is because certain documents are needed and must be submitted in sequential order, with the next document only available once the previous submission is accepted.

Am I reimbursed for my China Visa expenses?

All regular expenses incurred under contract in China are reimbursed in regards to your China visa, except for transportation; however, your initial visa to enter the country is not.

I am applying for an F visa, but it says it is illegal to get paid on an F visa, what gives?

Technically, it is illegal to work on an F visa; however, some people can’t apply for a work visa because of their background. Thousands of people work every year in China on F visas. It is not ideal, but if we apply for you to have an F visa, we do everything necessary to make sure your working situation does not differ from those on work visas. Just listen to all our instructions and everything will be smooth.

What additional documents do I need to bring with me? Can they be copies or originals?

We might also ask for you bring an original copy of proof of no criminal record. This can be obtained from your local police station. They will know the procedure. Also, don’t forget to make a few copies of your passport and visa and carry them with you, as well as leaving a set at your home with someone you trust. In addition, bringing extra passport pictures is suggested to help with medical or visa checks you might encounter during the year.

Before Traveling to China

What should I pack for living in China?
  • Clothes are very easy to come by in China. Not only are most sizes and styles available, but also can be found relatively cheap (especially in comparison to western counterparts). But one thing to consider are shoes, mostly for men with US sizes about 12. Large shoes are harder to find in China and you should bring a couple pairs with you.
  • Phones can be found relatively cheap in China. However, if you are planning on bringing your own phone, please remember to unlock it before you travel to China so it isn’t tied to your home network and unusable. You can find out online how to do this. Also, most American phones don’t work with the Chinese SIM network, so Americans usually choose play it safe and just wait until China to buy a phone. You can find a really cheap smartphone for only a few hundred RMB.
  • Medicine is not extremely scarce, but it is wise to bring some with you, especially if you know you easily fall prey to certain illness. Ibuprofen is hard to find and I would also suggest some sort of upset stomach relieving medicine along the lines of Pepto Bismol, Immodium.
  • There are no shortages of body product supplies such as shampoo, toothpaste, conditioner, shaving cream or razors. However, one thing that you should bring with you is a supply of deodorant, as it is hard to find and there are not many options.  Lastly, women who prefer to use tampons as feminine hygiene products should bring a stock with them because they are nearly impossible to find in China.
  • The plugs in China are three diagonal pronged, with some standard two prong plugs and use 220V, instead of 110 like the US. Other than your laptop, which has a power converter on it, it is advised to not bring other electronics as they might short circuit, especially things like curling irons and hair dryers, which can all be found in China for relatively cheap.
What about Health/Travel Insurance. Do I need Travel Insurance in China?

There are many different health/travel insurance agencies. First Leap provides this service for you and it can cover most accident injuries in China. For further details, you can talk further with recruitment specialist.

How much money do I need to bring when I move to China?
  • When it comes to money, too much is never a problem; however, here are some realistic estimations of what things will cost.  This will help you decide how much money you need to bring for your move to China. We recommend every teacher bring at least 500 dollars or 300 pounds for the first month’s living expenses and day to day eating/shopping etc., to last you until your first paycheck.
  • If you are living in Nanjing or Beijing, you will also need to allocate some money to renting an apartment. Accommodations can be found starting as low as 500 dollars or 300 pounds for upfront costs; however most housing options will run teachers around 1600 dollars or 1000 pounds or more (this assumes you will be living with roommates, if you wish to live alone, you will need more, closer to 2400 dollars or 1500 pounds. These are the cheaper options that are available in the city. For better locations or excellent housing, the cost of course goes up. This is because most housing options in these cities require 5 month’s rent upfront (3 months’ rent at once, plus 1 month’s’ agency fee and 1 months’ deposit.)
  • If you don’t have a large amount of money upfront, you can choose to stay in our training housing and have the rent taken out of your paycheck each month. This housing option isn’t the most convenient, but it is an option for teachers who don’t have a lot of cash up front and still want to live in Beijing or Nanjing. Otherwise, we suggest teachers with less money to go to one of our other cities, where housing is provided and less upfront money is needed to get set up.
  • Although commonly used in the US, traveler’s checks are not recommended for China. They are a hassle to exchange and are not accepted outside of the banks. You can use most bank cards in China to withdraw money for a small fee, and might be able to get that fee reduced if you speak to your bank in advance.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE: Teachers not from USA, Canada, UK, Australia, and European nations that use the Euro may have trouble exchanging their currency in China (Specifically South Africa and New Zealand). Please exchange to RMB before you leave your country.
Is a flight booked for me or do I need to book my own flight to China?

You need to book your own flight.  During your second interview we will discuss with you when it is best to arrive in Beijing for training. If you complete your contract, you will also receive an airfare contract completion bonus to help offset some or all of this cost, provided you can provide a receipt to cover the tax bill.

When is best to book my flight for China?

We will discuss that with you during the interview process. Please follow our time table as we will schedule your training to start on a specific day, often with other trainees from around the world. We suggest the best time to arrive is two days before the start of training in Beijing.

Who do I need to talk to about my flight to China?

Once you have booked your flight, please forward that information to the person who conducted your interview at First Leap. If you are signed with an agency as well, you can cc them on the email as well.

I am working in another city, why do I need to fly to Beijing first?

All teachers come to Beijing for at least two weeks in order to receive our foreign English teacher training at one of our training centers. Even if you are already in China, this is required of all new teachers to attend training in Beijing.

Arrival & Training

Will someone greet me at the airport when I arrive in China?

Yes, provided you arrive during the suggested time period and a reasonable hour, we will have a person from our partner agency meet you at the airport and take you to your accommodations during training.

I am bringing lots of luggage, will there be enough room?

Yes, but If you have more than 4 suitcases please make this known to us before coming so we can arrange for a larger transport.

Where will I be staying in Beijing for First Leap Teacher Training?

You will be staying in a hotel or house we own, within a reasonable travel distance of your training locations in Beijing.

What type of accommodation will I be staying in?

The accommodations are a standard hotel. It is a local Hotel/Motel chain.

Do I have to pay for this accommodation during my First Leap training in Beijing?

We provide 12 days paid accommodations to cover your training period. 2 days before training starts, 10 days during training. If you don’t use all the days, there is no extra compensation.

What happens after the pre-paid accommodation ends?

If you are staying in Beijing, we will help you locate more permanent living situations. You are welcome to stay in the shared room, but you will be responsible for the rent after the two weeks, either daily or monthly. If you are going to another city, then you will be taking either trains or a flight to get there and we will go over that with you during training.

How long after arrival will training start in Beijing?

Training usually begins within 2 days of your arrival if you follow our advised dates. We try to give you some time to get settled and recover from jetlag before starting. However, this is determined by you and your flight. Keep in mind, if teachers miss the start of training, they will be asked to wait until the next group starts.

How long is the First Leap teacher training in Beijing?

Training normally lasts for two weeks or 10 working days.

Will I get paid for training?

If you pass the training program, training is paid.

Is the First Leap Training course training hard?

Training is not designed to be excessive or weed teachers out. We have spent a lot of energy and time to get you to China and we want you to be successful. With that being said, we still expect you to put forth maximum effort to take in all skills that our training staff shares with you.

What is the training schedule?

You will get your specific training schedule upon your arrival; however, training starts around 9am most days and can go as late at 7pm.

What does training entail?

Training includes sessions on our students, curriculum, working standards, educational theory and tools of the job, as well as observations, mock teaching, observed teaching, and finally, assessments of your progress through the two weeks.

Will I be assessed during my training?

Yes, you are assessed in multiple areas to see if you are ready to teach on your own.

Should I take notes during training?

It is strongly recommended you take notes during training. Many things you will learn in training might not occur right away and you will need to recall your training notes in later months.

To Your Center/City

I have finished my First Leap Training in Beijing… now what?

After training, we will give you instructions on how to get to your center in China the next working day.  Then you will go to your center and start working your normal First Leap teaching schedule. Upon your arrival at your center, your international trainer and assessor (head of teaching at your center) and other international teachers should introduce you to the center.

I am living outside of Beijing, how will I get to my city?

We will arrange transportation to your city once training is finished. We will cover the cost of this transportation, as such, you won’t have the option to choose how or when you go to the city. If you have some strong reason to adjust, please let us know before training starts and we can try to make adjustments.

I am living in Beijing, how do I find my center?

There are maps to all the centers in our company handbook. Additionally, you will get an email with your center information and the information on your AD (head of teaching at your center) of your center. They can arrange someone to meet you if you need.

Once I arrive in my new city, will someone greet me at the airport/train station?

Yes, someone from your center will greet you upon your arrival and take you to your accommodation. We will let you know who that person is before you head out so you know how to expect to meet.

Settling In

Will accommodation be provided for me?

In cities outside of Nanjing/Beijing, First Leap may offer provided housing for you. There are two conditions if provided housing is offered. First, if you agree to stay in the provided housing for the year as we rent it for that time. Second, you will put down a 3000 RMB deposit to cover any damages that might be incurred during the year. If none are, then you will receive this deposit back after you leave the accommodation.

How do I find an apartment?
  • In Beijing, we work with our partner agencies to help you locate an apartment within your price range. In Nanjing, our HQ office will help you.
  • In all other cities, we will provide teachers with a housing questionnaire to fill out on day 1 of training to give us an insight to know what type of apartment you are looking for.
How do I pay for my apartment while living in China?

Each month or every three months, you will just wire money to your landlord. First Leap does not do this for you. But we can help you set this up to make it easy for you.

How do I set up a bank account in China? Which bank do I choose?

Depending on which center you are located at, we will ask you to open an account at a certain bank that that the center uses. If you already have a bank account in China, you are welcome to keep that open, but you need to have the specific bank we require in order to get you paid. We can help you during your off work time set this up.  It is very simple to set up.  All you will need is a passport, your address and a phone number.  Again, you can get some help with this at your local center.

Where do I buy a phone or get a sim card?

You can a buy a phone in most markets and our welcome committee can help you with this, as well as any of our teachers in the center. Sim cards are even easier and are available at most little shops.

I am sick and need medicine/need to see a doctor. How do I get medical help?

You should always contact your Academic Director (AD & head of teaching at your center) when you are sick. They will help you find a hospital or find you some medicine. If you are still sick during training, please contact your trainer and he will contact the correct people to get you some help. Do NOT just sit at home and try to get better on your own. We need to know if you are sick, we can help.

What is the best way to travel around China?
  • We recommend you get a travel card for Beijing. They can be used on the subway and buses, and even have reduced fares the more you use it. They require a 20 RMB deposit but make traveling much less of a hassle in Beijing.
  • As for China as a whole, trains are the best way to get around from city to city. Trains are everywhere and relatively cheap. We can help you locate and book tickets during your free time.